Sunday 28 January 2007

What concepts in the Sawi culture surprised you?

I am still surprise when I think about the concept of idealization of treachery in the Sawi culture. First, I thought the Sawi people were complete Cannibals who only eat human flesh for their lives, but I realized they also hunt for food and eat sago breads. This shows that they (tribes) consider “headhunting” as a way to show their power and pride of their tribes. Eating the enemy’s brain meant total control over the enemy and the left over skulls were used as pillows. Often the particular bones, such as jawbones were given to the women and every people relished the enemy’s flesh for their feast. This was a surprising concept, since the tribes did not necessary needed to eat human flesh for their lives, but they just appreciated to eat to show off their status within their ‘ranking-in-society.’ Then I thought about the tribes living in the Sawi Culture. Wouldn’t they feel anxious of being tricked by other tribes and be afraid being killed everyday? Even though another tribe man approaches to have a friendly relationship, I think I wouldn’t be able to believe anyone.

Also, treating the kids as “money” was another surprising concept. If I were them, surrounded by vindictive enemies, I think I would only believe and love my family. However, the Sawi tribes just traded their child for a stone axe without showing any glimpse of guilt. Kids were also considered as “peace child,” thinking switching children between a tribe might represent a peaceful relationship.

Now, Don Richardson has changed the tribes’ beliefs and their life concept, which is wonderful. The tribes do not hunt down people or exchange their child; however, I would still never want to accept or understand those two concepts.

6 comments:

Philip Baik said...

I want to ask one question: do you ever "cry piteously” or “writhe uncontrollably” over a loss of money? I sincerely hope that the answer is ‘no.’ However, the mother of Biakadon, a Peace child offered in the book, expressed a great deal of grief after the loss of her own child. Sawi did not treat their child as a mean of buying things. They actually understood how important a Peace child is. Due to this great value of a child, a child is used as a ‘sacrifice’ to maintain peace, for the sake of the whole tribe.

Philip Baik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joan Hong said...

Your post made me see the Sawi tribe in a different perspective. The Sawi in the book described are cannibals and treacherous people who are desperate of peace and truth. But after I read your post, I thought Sawi are more than just cannibals but are also ironic in many ways. Like the concept you said about using their child as money and also as a peace child, I honestly thought that the Sawi are really ridiculous! And I thought Sawi must be somewhat dumb to pracitce 'fattening friendship for slaughter' several times because everyone would know what the outcome would be like if they made friends.

Anonymous said...

I am Sawi















-_-morae

Jiwon said...

Hello, Alice- I, too, was shocked by the two concepts you wrote in your post. How can one eat human flesh and trade his own child??? I mean, even if my social statue depends on those customs, I don't think I am going to eat human flesh and give up my own child. But who knows, if I were born among the Sawi and raised there, I might be one of the Sawi people. So I think what we decide as being right or wrong depends on our environment and surroundings... I felt sad for the Sawi peoeple on the other side, because I thought their barbarism was partially due to lack of education and interaction with other cultures.

African Globe Trotters. said...

Great Galvanizing girls and of cause Philip! Philip your comment made me think of that old English saying "until you walk a mile in someone else's shoes..."
It's hard to understand someone else unless you've been in their position and I think your comment reflects this well. Mrs.Mc.