Sunday 28 January 2007

What reflections can you make with this novel?

Peace Child definitely granted me a different impression than any other books. Maybe it is because the story is based on Don Richardson’s “true” experience, but also it is related to Christianity. For several times, I just had to close the book when I read the Part 1 World of The Sawi, because the descriptions of their culture were way too palpable in a brutal way. Since it was an assigned book to read for our English class, all I wanted to do was to finish this book. However, as I read further chapters, I began to think more profoundly about the message this book try to convey. Before, I only thought the uneducated tribes were just “savages” that they were not worth enough to receive support or help. The title, World of The Sawi, was correct; the Sawi tribes were living in their own world, which is completely different from our world. I did not understand why Don Richardson bothered to help the people like the Sawi tribe, who could actually kill him as they do to their enemies. However, I realized the Sawi tribes were actually living better than I do. At least they had a purpose in life-such as head hunting and has ambition of creating new legends among themselves. Head hunting is uncomfortable for us to understand in our culture, but in Sawi’s culture, it may represent success and pride among the men. Compared to our culture, it may be similar as becoming the smartest one by competing with the classmates. Truly, this book made me wonder more about my life and myself. Apparently, they do not have anything what I have. They do not have I-pods, computers, cell phones, shoes, clothes, or education, but they live with what they have. However, I always complain of not having more of what I want. Even people who live in a devastated place has their own purpose of living, but what about me? I have more properties than the Sawi people do, but am I living better life than they are? It made me realize fancy properties are worthless. Whether I have a BMW or a brand new I-pod, unless I have a definite purpose in life, life is meaningless.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sexy picture

hyangsoo, said...

Hey, Alice :) I enjoyed reading your comment, and I kind of felt guilty at the part when you said that even though we have more material posessions than the Sawi, we might lack purpose and meaning in our life. Although I would criticize the Sawi for being uncivilized, maybe they do live a better life than us in that they have a specific goal they want to achieve. But, in a way, I think that we are not as clear as them of our life purposes because our life is more complicated than theirs. Maybe that is the reason why we cannot determine our purpose, just yet.

African Globe Trotters. said...

Jaedoo this comment is inappropriate because it is a picture of an innocent child. Alice you seem to truly "get this book". This Unit: Questions of Faith has an essential question; your post answers this question of faith clearly - what is our purpose? Mrs.Mc.