Sunday 28 January 2007

What should we do when we are confronted with other cultures?


I understand it is not easy to get along with a new culture immediately. As being a kid who had moved five schools for the past decade, I was able to realize the difficulties when confronting a new culture. Even though I moved “inside” Korea for several times, it was still uncomfortable for me to get familiar with the new town or new people. However, how would it be like, if I am confronted to a completely different culture, the Sawi culture?

Before becoming a junior in TCIS, I had attended six different schools. Well, five of them are located in Korea but they were all different to me. After living in the states, I came to Kwangju, Korea. Immediately, I was sent to a Korean school, which I was very unfamiliar with. Apparently, Korean School was completely a shock to me. In one room, there were more than fifty kids and the room was not big enough for all the kids to run around. Furthermore, we just sat down in our chairs for five hours, listening to the teacher’s lecture. Before, I had nearly about twenty kids in my room and we always enjoyed different activities, moving from place to place. It was very uncomfortable to me to get easily along with the new culture but all I could do was getting use to it and bear the circumstances. Attending the school for three years made me to get more along with the Korean culture, but my parents seemed to have a different plan for me. In the middle of my third grade year, my parents sent me to an English School.

Through my experience, I realized that you have to bear with the new culture. As well as respecting and accepting the new culture, you should also try to get along with it. You should not try to recreate a new culture from it, since there is no ‘perfect’ culture and every culture has their uniqueness. Don Richardson did not complain or regret when he had entered the Sawi World. He did not even tried to change their traditional culture (except head-hunting), such as the way they adorn themselves. That’s what I think. If you just accept the culture, I think the other culture will accept you as well. The tribes were afraid of the Tuans at first, but as they realized the Tuans came to help them and did not criticize them, the tribes also accepted the Richardson’s Family.

11 comments:

African Globe Trotters. said...

Alice - your words are wise and show such maturity. How do you think your lessons learn would help you should you ever be confronted with the Sawi or a similar situation? Do some peer editing too as some of your post needs a little work. Keep blogging! Mrs.Mc.

Anonymous said...

alice
i agree. I've had personal experience of moving a lot and even growing up in an unadjustable culture. But, if you were to eventually fit in and to look at the culture in a different way, you would have a different perspective of it from than you did before rite?

Anonymous said...

Alice,
I agree as well..I have ALSO had a personal experience of moving to a totally different cultured country from my home. When I first went to Canada without knowing much about it, it was difficult for me to handle such a difference in environment. Before I went there I had alot of friends in korean school and also had best friends who cared for me, but when I got settled in the different environment, I first realized that the students at Canadien school had been together with eachother for a long time and they were very indifferent towards me and what I did. What I'm trying to say is... I think you are right about the importance of fitting in to the new culture instead of trying to CHANGE the whole culture. After realizing it was hard for me to sit still without any supportive friends like I had back at home, I eventually had to try to fit in- and it worked! :) Through this lesson, I learned that appreciation of other cultures are needed..
On the other hand, if it was Sawi culture instead of Canada..maybe things might have been a bit different? I wouldn't have tried to adopt their culture of "head-hunting" myself. Maybe I would have tried to understand, but also at the same time try to teach them a lesson...

Liz Kim said...

Hey Alice!
I also had similar experience! I’ve always complain to my mom about moving around, but she told me that you can never stay in one place and being afraid of moving to different location is being coward. Moving to totally different environment requires great courage and so don’t be discouraged when you have to move to different place in the future! Think positively and think that every time you move to a new place, you’re being stronger and mature=].

Anonymous said...

hey:)

i liked your post a lot beause I have experienced new cultures through moving schools and towns and everything.. I think its always hard to be in a new situation, or ecnvironment. It's not only hard to adjust, but its also hard to go and accept new cultures. I think you have a good point when you mentioned about imagining the same situation as the author.. It would be hard to adjust and learn and actually "fit in"...:)
liked your post!!

alice said...

Thank you to everyone. But do I have to reply to all the comments? No.. right? Yea anyways. So I will only say "thank you" to you guys.

hongyuan77 said...

ALice! YOu HAVE TO ANSER! zz

alice said...

Oh, I see. Thanks Hong yuan. I'm your fan too =) hahaha.

First of all, thank you Mrs.Mc. Even though I learned some lessons, I don't think I would get FAMILIAR with the Sawi tribe unless I live with them for 10 years... Oh I also edited my post so now it's a brand new post! Yoohoo~

Hi Ja~Doo. Oh, do you have a similar experience like me? Wow, such a long question. Yeah, I think so. I really do.

Hi Bia. Wow, long comment! I love you the most =) Me too- I also had to struggle of getting use to a new culture, but eventually I get familiar and comfortable with it. I think that's life. However, yea, thankfully I was moving around "inside" the Korea. If I had to move to the Sawi World, I think I would definitely try to get out of their place. Don't want to be mean to them, but I am pretty sure I won't be able to get used to their culture! However, as you said, since Sawi culture is not familiar to me, maybe I could stay for a while, get use to the culture, and teach and learn a lesson together!

Hi Liz =) Do you know I always envy your "positive-life"? Anyways.
Personally, your mom is right. Always challenging oneself is a brave thing to do, however I do not think being afraid of moving to another place is a coward-thing to do. Won't you also feel anxious and worried if you had to go to a different place, such as the Sawi world? Thanks for your comment.

Hi Yulie- Yes I agree with you. It is definitely not easy to "fit-in" to a new culture, but now I think it's worth it, thought the process is hard. You get the opportunity to learn about the new culture and have brand new experiences in life, right? Thanks for you compliments also =)

kicheon said...

oMg... i agree with you :) you are the best haha I can believe that this is written by a student ... you are profound writer soooooooo wonderful wrting I'm impressed so much haha I also have a personal experience of moving to different culture like Korean school to TCIS It was little difficult time to me, but after I was just adapted with new environment the life became easier. Keep put your efforts on blog, then it will be fantastic blog :)

kicheon said...

oMg... i agree with you :) you are the best haha I can believe that this is written by a student ... you are profound writer soooooooo wonderful wrting I'm impressed so much haha I also have a personal experience of moving to different culture like Korean school to TCIS It was little difficult time to me, but after I was just adapted with new environment the life became easier. Keep put your efforts on blog, then it will be fantastic blog :)

Anonymous said...

im not a fan of yours :P